Thursday, November 12, 2009

Theme Thursday - Phone

The room was quiet. The grandfather was sitting in the corner, in his favorite chair; the grandmother standing, peering into the candy dish for a treat. The two young girls were sitting, waiting, for the phone to ring.

The grandfather had told them that there was a call when he was the only one home. The caller had said that the young girls' father was being rushed to the hospital - heart attack. He was waiting for additional information.

The phone rang. The grandfather picked it up and said hello. He didn't say anything other than "Okay, I'll tell them." He hung up the phone and said to his granddaughters, "I'm sorry, he didn't make it. Your Dad is dead." The safe, secure life the girls' had known was now over, in the ring of a phone.

20 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know, I always feel apprehensive when the phone rings. It seems people usually call me when they want something or have bad news. This was so sad...

Wings1295 said...

Wow, how sad.

I always get apprehensive when the phone rings. You just never know who is on the other end or what they have to tell you.

Good piece.

Betsy Brock said...

OH, sad! :(

Stephanie said...

That's sad.

e said...

A sad bit indeed...Are you planning to write more?

I hate ringing phones...

Great post.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Oh dear! This is why hanging around looking at the phone can be absolutely TRAGIC.
In a split second the usual becomes UNusual.
So sorry.

Gladys said...

How sad! I am always nervous when the house phone rings...never good news or it's a solicitation.

Mike said...

Oh, that is so sad! If it is true, I am very sorry for you!

Tom said...

oh dear...well at least there's candy. is there more to this story?

JeffScape said...

Crazy. Well-written... succinctly poignant.

Kate Hanley said...

My mom always talks about the policeman who came to their door when her father died when she was 11 because they didn't have a phone. Such a sad story but well written. Also, I just read your Goodnight Moon post - oh I love that book. My daughter (age 10) still has her bunny (Bubby to us) from that book.

Ronda Laveen said...

I feel ya. Had a similar experience. He didn't make it either.

Colette Amelia said...

that call...always flirting in the back of our mind...if the phone rings too late, too early, or by someone who you never hear from.

Jaime said...

wow. that's sad. i hope that's not a personal story

Kris McCracken said...

Best not answer!

The Silver Fox said...

[speechless]

Baino said...

Ah Ravyn. I've had those calls. Three times in fact. Terrible things. I always feel nervous when the phone rings after 11pm . . bad news travels fast, it's true.

Michael said...

Oh that is so matter of a fact. How horrible. I'm sorry if that was you who went throug that.

Dot-Com said...

That was so sad to read. The phone call that turned the world upside-down.

Dreamhaven said...

That reminds me of the feeling of dread whenever a telegram came. So sad for the children.