Thursday, October 22, 2009

Theme Thursday - Traffic




Now, one would look at these pictures (as I did) and say "What the floop?" so I had to go and look into exactly where this conglomeration of lights was and how it affected traffic in the area.

This is actually a sculpture designed by Pierre Vivant in 1997! It's on the traffic island of Heron Quays Roundabout in Canary Wharf in London. The official name is Traffic Light Tree - although, really, shouldn't it be called Insane? We New-Englanders call it a "rotary" - what they call a "roundabout" in England. Can you imagine being a tourist and seeing that? I'm sure the residents are quite used to it and probably don't even give it a second thought - but if I went there and saw that, I'd cry and start walking. LOL

11 comments:

Nicole said...

Hahahaha

Wings1295 said...

Wow. Yeah, talk about freaking out the foreigners! Cool find!!!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Just looking at a photograph of THAT traffic light causes me ANXIETY!!!!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

would be fun to watch this bit of art - I wonder what the timing is like on all the lights.

happy theme thursday

Ed & Jeanne said...

That statue is wonderful to have all around your house too...

Brian Miller said...

it frightens me...lol

e said...

That Traffic Light Tree says bunches about our car culture...I laughed out loud.

Megan said...

Ha! I just asked dufus where it was, and now I know, thanks!!!

I'd cry, too.

Sandra Leigh said...

I'd just think I was back home in Nanaimo. I'd swear we have more traffic lights than we have intersections.

Baino said...

Thanks for that Ravyn, I've just come from nonamedufus who also posted it and I wondered how anyone could possibly read them. Pretty cute tho isn't it?

JeffScape said...

What the floop? Haha.

I think the rest of the US calls it a "traffic circle" or a roundabout.

You New Englanders are in a world of your own! ;)