Friday, October 9, 2009

The Tenth Daughter of Memory

I was 18 and in trouble.

I don’t think this would’ve happened if Dad hadn’t died in June. I was lonely, did not get along with my mother, took a year off before college and here it was, October, and I was “late” – every teens nightmare. And how do I approach my mother to tell her?

I got up enough nerve to ask her how late I needed to be before I should start to worry. She said at my age if I didn’t have it and if I was sexually active, then I should be worried. Ok, so now I was worried.

They didn’t have pregnancy sticks back then from what I can recall so she had me make an appointment at this unwed mother place “in the city” – where it was confirmed that I was pregnant. Options, options, options – I was told I had a number of options. But for me, being raised a Catholic and my father being a regular church-goer prior to his passing, the only option was to keep the baby.
Epilogue – my son is now 25 years old, married and about to purchase his first home. He was the best thing that ever happened to me and I can’t imagine life without him.

What felt like a trap then turned out to only be a different path.

For other submissions for Trapped, please click here.

8 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Great post! Sometimes things look much different in hindsight. :)

Yodood said...

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, what we don't kill makes that strength gentler. Bravo.

Brian Miller said...

a happy ending on that different path. great post. smiles.

Not For Jellyfish said...

Sometimes traps are the best things to happen to us. :) Congratulations on your son.

Dot-Com said...

Thanks for sharing - life has challenges along the way, but only we know what decisions to make, and I'm happy you can now celebrate your son's 25th birthday.

Lilwave said...

The curves life can toss you often turn out to be the best parts. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great post- how time changes our prespectives on things.

Unknown said...

That's fantastic. The best things in life are the unexpected.